Monday, October 21, 2013

Harold Eugene Shields - The Younger Years


Harold Eugene Shields
The Younger Years

Harold Eugene Shields was born at 9:00 A.M. on August 16, 1927 to Amos K. Shields (Amos Kenneth Shields) and Dorothea S. Kinemond (Dorothea Louise Kinemond).  Harold was born in Toronto, Jefferson County, Ohio.  On his “Certificate of Birth” it states that Amos K Shields was a Laborer born in Salem, Ohio and was 21 years old.  Dorothea S. Kinemond was a old housewife born in Hickory, PA and was 17 years old.

Harold Eugene Shields went by the name of Eugene or Gene.  His nickname was Shag.  When I was growing up my father would answer to Eugene, Gene or Shag.  I don’t remember him being called Harold too often.

Harold Eugene was the oldest of three children born to Amos Kenneth Shields and Dorothea Louise Kinemond.  Their children are Eugene born in 1927; Evelyn Dorthea born in 1929; and Shirley Elizabeth born in 1931.  Evelyn Dorthea died when she was six years old on November 15, 1933 of diphtheria.

His proud parents Mr. and Mr. A.K. Shields sent out a birth announcement.  They were living at 298 Stewart Street, Toronto, Ohio.
 
 The 1930 Federal Census documents Amos K Shields 27, Dorothea Shields 20, Eugene Shields 2 1/2 years, and Evelyn Shields 1 1/2 living at 266 River Avenue, Village of Toronto, Island Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio. His father Amos was working as a Fireman in a Power Plant.

 Evelyn Dorothea Shields died 15 November 1933, her death certificate has the Shields family living at 505 Clark Street, Toronto, Jefferson County, Ohio.

 The 1940 Federal Census documents Amos Shields 36, Horthea (with and X next to name the name could be Dorthea) 29, Eugene 12 and Shirley Shields 8 living at 505 Clark Street, Toronto, Knox Township, Jefferson County, Ohio. His father Amos was working as a Mechanical Control Operator in and Power Plant and his wife Dorothea was a Beauty Operator working at home. They were living at 505 Clark Street Toronto, Jefferson County, Ohio.

I am not sure what kind of child my dad was or what kind of childhood he lived.  He never talked about his past life and I did not ask him questions.  I wish I could ask him those questions now. Sometimes I get the impression that dad was a handful.

When dad was born his mother was 17 years old.  Dorothea and Amos Shields were married when Dot was 16 years old.  I once hear a story that Dot and Amos secretly got married and did not tell their families.  Amos lived at his family and Dot lived with her family until the family found out. I am not sure if this is a true story.  I do wonder what kind of mothering skills Dot had at 16.  As I think back on the interaction I saw between Dot and my dad I think she was not prepared for mothering my father.
 
The thing that amazes me is how much my brother, Jeff's childhood pictures look like my dad's pictures. They have the same color hair.
 

 
 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I had no idea his parents were so young, very interesting!!